Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Yangshuo bug
October 13th--Well....Mike and I woke up this morning sick with some type of stomach bug. Neither one of us slept well with stomach cramps, but luckily Mike was feeling better than me. So, he took the kids to eat breakfast and came back with some medicine for me. I debated taking it for a while because I didn't know what it was. It was a small bottle full of what looks like BB pellets. I was supposed to take half of the bottle with room temperature water. I finally decided to take it because I felt that bad. Come to find out it was an all-natural herbal medicine. Mike and the kids returned with news that we could have one of the 2 rooms for the day. So, after resting for a little while, we moved all our stuff in the room the kids had stayed in. Their room had 2 twin size beds in it so we all piled into the beds and watched a movie. It helped that it was raining outside so that the kids weren't wanting to go outside to play. By early afternoon, Abby was starting to not feel so good. At about 4:00, Austin asked to go eat so Mike took him to do so. While they were gone, it became official that Abby was sick. So, at this point everyone was taking the natural herb medicine. Around 6:30 and still feeling bad, we all packed up and headed to the front desk to check out. There was a driver there waiting to take us to the train station. So, off we went with him...only to be disappointed that we were getting in a rickety old taxi. Our vehicle the other day from the train station had been a nice, air conditioned van. This had to be the absolute worst taxi ride we've had so far and it certainly didn't help that we were sick. First of all, it was dark and raining outside. Second of all, the driver didn't take the tollway /expressway, he instead took the curvy, dark back roads. Third of all and most important, he drove like a crazy person. He passed cars to our right as a car was coming towards us while driving really fast. I said many prayers and thought to myself "Why am I afraid to fly? I'm more safe in a plane than I am in this taxi right now". Mike says it took 276 Lord's Prayers to get from Yangshuo to the train station. Once we arrived at the train station, the kids were sound asleep in the back seat and the taxi driver wanted to drop us off across the street (in the rain) so that he didn't have to pay to pull into the train station. Mike and him were having a language barrier about getting him to pull up to the station until finally Mike yelled "I DON'T CARE. JUST DRIVE." And he did so...almost to the point that he drove up on the curb of the train station. We quickly got out of the taxi and headed into the station where we found a really nice waiting area. We made spots for the kids to lay down on the benches and they both went back to sleep. It took all Mike and I had not to fall asleep too at this point. Luckily, we made it to 9:00 when we were able to board our train. The kids immediately crawled into their beds and went back to sleep. Mike and I were not far behind them before we were fast asleep too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment